September 9, 2011

Strangenesses

This is a time of strange situations. Matters of Strange Nature have infested my life like so many wombats, and I am forced to confront (sword in hand) things which do not happen everyday, nor even every year, but only-occasionally-once in a lifetime.

In swift succession over this past week, the following odd, sad-making events have occurred:

note - this is not my church. >_>
It's just a very cool-looking one found on Google.

1. We have left our church.

2. My Dad left his job.


These events go hand in hand. You see, my Dad is (ahem, was) a pastor. We went to that church for many years, and it's the only one I truly remember. Dad was a pastor there, but after some sad, sad, sticky situations and 2+ years of trying to fix the problems and bring in help and preserve the church and maintain his sanity (all at once! My Dad's a great multi-tasker ^_^), he and one other pastor (and several other families in the congregation) left, creating a small church schism. So now Dad and the other pastor - our families are good friends - have no jobs. They are unemployed. O_O

Planned/desired dinners and talks and friendships - hundreds have been snapped off. Sad, sad. Yet I confess that I am in part enjoying these Strange Things; I am enjoying the newness of it all. After all, this situation is the closest thing to an adventure this spy is going to get for a long time. My morbid side has come alive in spewing writings about this. ^_^ Of course, there is still the sad nostalgia and mixed-up-ness of the whole matter that makes one cry atimes. And with this situation came the awfulness of broken trust. I learned sad things about people I'd respected and admired and loved as brothers and sisters in Christ - people that I wanted to go on seeing as role models. There is something unreconstructably sad in realizing your heroes are fallibly far from perfect.

Yet there is one hero who, for me, has come to light in this whole mess: my Dad. Throughout the church-/job-leaving situation, my Dad has been, in so many ways, a hero. He has been inestimably gracious, humble, and brave, and my respect for him has grown so much. Love you, Daddy. (:

And then there is a third matter: as many of you already know, our very good friend, Jake, is leaving, going far-off. He and his family are moving to Liberia, Africa, and communication will be diminished significantly. Although I am quite happy for this splendid opportunity that the Sadaar Clan now has to participate in mission work in far-off lands, this is still unquestionably sad-making. As all who know him will agree, Jake is a marvelous elf, an epic writer, a heroic fighter, a wellspring of randomness, a summoner of turkeys, and a loyal friend. His Pen of Doom is respected and revered among all elf-kind. And his Battle Fought at Midday - a four part chronicle in which he quite literally duels with Procrastination -is a masterpiece in entertaining allegory ("Inspiration hit me over the head with my shampoo.") (read part 1 here)

Many goodbyes are happening; many things are being changed, and books are closed and burned. *snif* Two quotes (both from the illustrious 100 Cupboards series) seemed to suit various aspects of this week well:
- - - - - - - - ~ - - -

He sat up. "Your peaches," he said. "And your applesauce. How many pies do you think I've eaten in my life?" He looked down at her. "Not enough." He smiled. "If we get out of this, there needs to be more pie. That's all the complaining I've got."
- The Chestnut King

"Sometimes standing against evil is more important than defeating it. The greatest heroes stand because it is right to do so, not because they believe they will walk away with their lives. Such selfless courage is a victory in itself."
-Dandelion Fire
- - - - -

(a third quote that is not 100-Cupboards-ish but that I love anyway and pertains to farewells and thus ought to be said)


"For Christians, 'goodbye' always means 'see you later.'"
- Anonymous

- - - - - - - - ~ - - -

These times are still strange. o_O If you have any inspiring quotes and/or advice about sadness, farewells, friendships, and/or Aztecs, I'd love to hear them.

*sighs* What with the sadnesses of the aforementioned three things and the compounding frustrations of overloads of schoolwork, papers, deadlines, and information, this situation becomes evermore unpleasant. Sometimes I just want to vanish into a French monastery and become a nun, or maybe a part-time Russian Communist spy. Or perhaps move into the forest and become a librarian/warrior/hermit. If I disappear one of these days, know that Whisper the spy has donned the black robes and obliterated herself from the face of the earth and all its social quandaries.

Or gone LARPing. More on that later.

Standing at the top of, and blinking owlishly down at, the very-long spiky black glass staircase leading into the Depths of Despair,

-whisper

10 comments:

Faith said...

Things like that are so tough! I remember changing churches because of difficulties, not too long ago. It's such an emotional process. I'll pray for you and I wish you the best :)

whisper said...

Thank so much, Faye. That's very very kind of you. :)

Eagles Wings said...

We moved churches a year or so ago... It was hard.

And as for Jake I think we need to kidnap him.

Never Alone, Whisper. *hug*

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to those who love Him"

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Precentor said...

Eagleswings is getting mileage out of those verses, aye Eagles? ;)

You should make sure your dad reads the bit about him, I'm sure it'd be an encouragement.

whisper said...

Eagles - kidnapping! Perfect! Why didn't we think of this sooner??? You know what he looks like - you can sketch his profile for the WANTED posters we'll set up all over the States.

Thank you. *hugs back* Never Alone. *says it aloud for courage*

Those are heartening verses - thank you for them. (:

Millard - aye, I think he has. :) It is all very true; I hope it gave him Courage.

-whisper

Faith said...

Hi Whisper, I awarded you a blog award. So please head over to my blog to find out how you can pick it up :)

http://labornotinvain.blogspot.com/2011/09/lovely-blog-award.html

whisper said...

Oh, neat! Thanks! :)

T.D. said...

Well, you're having quite the time aren't you? O_o

I think Eagles has already said everything that could possibly be said... but here's a hug from me, anyway. *hugs*

Ninja Tim said...

You people have skills that are unheard of (you can hug someone through commenting on a blog?!?). (O)_(O)

Whisper, I'm glad to see that your sense of humor and whimsy has not deserted you in this crucial time. I'm afraid my quote is not from Scripture, nor is it about Aztecs, but I hope it encourages you: "Every goodbye makes the next hello closer." And as you've already pointed out, "For Christians, 'goodbye' always means 'see you later.'"

I'll be praying for you my friend. ;)

whisper said...

Thank you, Director. *hugs back hard*

Ninja Tim - Oh yes, we have great and mighty powers. ^_^ I have been known to swordfight, kidnap, and/or keelhaul people via the internet, on multiple occasions. XD

Thank you Tim, for that is a very-good quote. I am having a hard time seeing the future well currently... I'm floundering in wanting to relive the past and am feeling unimaginitive about the good things in the future. And thank you for your prayers; I am very grateful for them... I could use them right now. >_>

text-align:right